Friday, July 8, 2011

Old Man's War (Old Man's War #1) by John Scalzi



















Synopsis:

John Perry turns 75 and does two things, he visits his wife's grave and joins the army. Humanity has made in to interstellar travel but there are very few planets that are livable so everyone is fighting for the same planets to colonize.  Colonial Defense Force controls most everything and once humans reach retirement age they are allowed to enlist in the CDF. They want people with a life's worth of experience. You are taken off Earth and made fit to serve but you never allowed to return. John Perry takes the deal but has no idea what will unfold. 

My thoughts:

I was hesitant to read this at first. I love Sci Fi and Fantasy but I am very particular about sci fi. With Sci Fi I am already taking in to account that 99% of it is not likely to happen in my life time but sometimes I read sci fi that is to unbelievable if that makes any sense. But I picked this one up on a recommendation for someone and started reading it and was instantly trapped in this story. It was one of those books I hated to put it down. Before I even got chapter 4 I had ordered the other books in the series.

This book was funny, sad, suspenseful and so much more. I love the characters. The main character of this one John was an instant hit for me. Two pages in I knew I would love John. He was funny and smart and a really great guy. I love how he loves his wife. Makes Friends. And does what is right while doing what he is supposed to.

I highly recommend this book. Even if you are not a fan of Sci Fi give this one a shot it great sci fi and also just s great story. I loved this book.
 

1 comments:

Following from the Saturday Social Hop.
Have a great weekend!

~ Mona : )
Mona’s Milestones

Post a Comment

We love comments!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More