Friday, July 15, 2011

Untouchable Review






Untouchable
By Scott O'Connor

About the book:

It is the autumn of 1999. A year has passed since Lucy Darby's unexpected death, leaving her husband David and son Whitley to mend the gaping hole in their lives. David, a trauma-site cleanup technician, spends his nights expunging the violent remains of strangers, helping their families to move on, though he is unable to do the same. Whitley -- an 11 year-old social pariah known simply as The Kid -- hasn't spoken since his mother's death. Instead, he communicates through a growing collection of notebooks, living in a safer world of his own silent imagining.


As the impending arrival of Y2K casts a shadow of uncertainty around them, their own precarious reality begins to implode. Questions pertaining to the events of Lucy's death begin to haunt David, while The Kid, who still believes his mother is alive, enlists the help of his small group of misfit friends to bring her back. As David continues to lose his grip on reality and The Kid's sense of urgency grows, they begin to uncover truths that will force them to confront their deepest fears about each other and the wounded family they are trying desperately to save.

Pub. Date: May 2011
Publisher: Tyrus Books
ASIN: B004TTHDQ2

My Review:

As I started reading Untouchable, I kept anticipating something to happen, anything.  For me, this was a slow moving book, with just enough to happen to where it kept me reading.  While Scott O’Connor doesn’t put a label on any of the characters, so as the reader, you come to find out what they are experiencing and/or suffering from.  Scott O’Connor does a fabulous job painting a picture of what is happening, how the characters are feeling, and the reader is left to decipher what it all means.  In a way, this book left me confused, but I don’t have any personal experience dealing with the issues that surround this book.

The story is told through Darby and The Kid’s point of view, as well as referring back to the past.  This book deals with serious mental issues, full of drama, sadness, love, and family.  Darby and The Kid must face their own journey of healing with the death of Lucy, the wife of Darby and mom to The Kid.

Untouchable can be purchased online at Amazon, Borders, IndieBound, and Barnes & Noble.

Disclosure: The opinions provided are my own and not influenced by anyone else.  I did not receive any financial compensation for this post.  I received free products to facilitate my review.

3 comments:

Ya...it's hard to understand a book if we dont have experience about what the characters gone through.

As I started reading Untouchable, I kept anticipating something to happen, anything. For me, this was a slow moving book, with just enough to happen to where it kept me reading. While Scott O'Connor doesn't put a label on any of the characters, so as the reader, you come to find out what they are experiencing and/or suffering from. Scott O'Connor does a fabulous job painting a picture of what is happening, how the characters are feeling, and the reader is left to decipher what it all means. In a way, this book left me confused, but I don't have any personal experience dealing with the issues that surround this book.

Post a Comment

We love comments!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More